Thursday, April 18, 2013

Insomnia Woes

Much of my first pregnancy is a bit hazy, due partially to the wonderful fact that God seems to have created women to forget these difficult stages of life, and partially because I have intentionally blocked out all of the suffering.  So when people ask me specific questions about how this one compares to the previous one, I sometimes have trouble answering them clearly.

For example, right now I'm suffering from insomnia.  I fall asleep quite easily at night, but only stay asleep for around three hours before waking up and staying that way until shortly before I have to wake my toddler for my husband to take her to daycare.  Aside from the fact that this is annoying and I'm always exhausted, this also has the effect of making all of my oh-so-wonderful symptoms worse.  Your body just can't do what it needs to do if you don't give it the tools to do so - and one of the most important tools is rest.

I can't for the life of me remember if I had the same sleeping issues last time.  I don't really think that I did, but I honestly have no recollection.  Of course things were different back then, as I had neither a job nor an older child to care for, so even if I couldn't sleep at night it wouldn't have been the end of the world and I could have made it up a bit during the day.  But I just don't know.

Any brilliant suggestions that anyone has, preferably without further medicating myself, are more than welcome...no matter how much I've improved recently, nothing good is going to come of it if I can't get proper rest.  Ah, the wonderful joys of pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment