Monday, February 20, 2012

Music lessons

We have, thank G-d, been blessed with a musically talented child.  At least, from what we can tell so far.  She sings, she dances, she plays her instruments - and she is absolutely mesmerized by music.  Need to get something done?  Play some music and you've got yourself 10 minutes.

Of course the music that a 15-month-old can produce isn't exactly Mozart, but it's still pretty amazing to hear.  Just last week she discovered how to blow through the recorder to make sound, and she is always handing it to me to hear me play it before she tries to copy me.  The same thing with the xylophone - she'll bang on it a bit and then give me the sticks to play something, then try to copy me.

I can't wait for the day that we can get her some music lessons.  Of course it's too early now, as she doesn't have the coordination or the ability to sit still for longer than three seconds.  I just think it would make her so happy to be able to make the music herself, not just listen to it.

I grew up with a piano in the house, and I think that was really great.  In fact, once we get on our feet financially I definitely have my eye on buying a used piano to keep in our home so that our children can learn music on a real instrument.  We already have a clarinet, but that's a tough instrument for a little kid.  Piano is much easier to start with.

Do I see my child becoming a musician?  Not necessarily, no.  But I think that music enrichment is such an important part of life that to neglect it would be sinful.  Especially when you have a child who shows aptitude and who loves it so much, why not encourage that?  So when L.H. is old enough and when we have the means, I plan on getting her serious lessons.  If she loves them - fantastic.  If she doesn't - it didn't hurt to try.  Who knows, maybe something will come of it after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment