Sunday, January 29, 2012

Clothes are overrated

You know those special moments with your children, like a big good morning kiss out of the blue or the way that their little faces light up when you come home at the end of the day?  How about the moment when you open the bedroom door that your toddler is resolutely pounding on only to discover a stark naked child who is very pleased with herself for having gotten to said nudity?

That's right, we have a nudist on our hands.  I think that every child (and probably most adults, too) has an inner nudist, but at this age it's still acceptable.  L.H. is so committed to disrobing that we have instituted nakey-time every night before changing into pajamas, just so that she can get it out of her system.  The biggest giggles of the day come from these 5-10 minutes of freedom.

There's one thing I really don't understand, though - doesn't she get cold?  I know that we live in a relatively warm area, but our apartment seems to trap the cold and it is frequently colder inside than outside.  During the winter I always dread changing into or out of pajamas or taking a shower, simply because I get so cold.  And yet I can barely get my little girl to put on her clothing to begin with.

I guess that there are some things in life that are just worth it.  I'll accept being cold because in return I get to be naked.  I'll accept having piles of dirty laundry on the couch because in return I get a happy husband.  I'll accept the crazy bureaucracies of this country because in return I get to live in the land that I love.

All of life is give and take; sometimes it's just not readily apparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment